- As a Preventive measure we recommend the "sealing" of all permanent molars as they erupt into your childs mouth.
- Fissure Sealants
Common chipped tooth questions
Can I repair my chipped tooth at home?
Yes and no!
Yes, there are temporary chipped tooth repair kits which you can purchase in many pharmacies. They don't however permanently restore the tooth and will inevitably fail in a very short period of time. They probably won't also look particularly appealing.
No, the temporary tooth repair systems available over-the-counter are not able to bond to the tooth in a satisfactory manner to facilitate the long-term survival of the repair. Over-the-counter systems will also not have the range of colours available to the dentist. Your dentist will also be highly skilled in applying the tooth repair composite to ensure it blends in completely seamlessly to any chipped tooth.
Why has my tooth broken?
Unless there is some underlying cause for a weakened tooth structure then teeth do not normally chip and break. However you may notice some tooth wear as you age, this is normal. You might also find that as you get older and the teeth wear down and the enamel thins out and becomes more prone to chipping and breakages.
If your tooth has been heavily restored in the past with amalgam (silver fillings) then you may also find that the remaining tooth structure is not as strong as it used to be and can be more likely to break.
What can cause a chip on a tooth?
The most common cause for chipping a tooth is clinking it on a mug or glass. Always be careful when you drink to avoid knocking your teeth.
If you have dental decay or a previous impact this can weaken the tooth structure leaving it more likely to chip.
Is a chipped tooth a dental emergency?
In normal circumstances a chipped tooth is not considered a dental emergency unless:
- There is bleeding from around the tooth gum margin.
- The chip is so large that pain is severe.
- The chip is so large that the internal structure of the tooth is exposed (the pulp) this may be extremely painful and can also lead to bleeding from the middle of the tooth.
- There are other associated injuries resulting in severe pain or bleeding.